The CodeMark Certification Scheme (the Scheme) is a voluntary third-party building product certification scheme, administered by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB). It supports the use of new or innovative building products in specified circumstances in Australia by providing a nationally accepted process for demonstrating compliance with the requirements of the National Construction Code (NCC).
Who are the key parties involved in the scheme?
The key parties involved in the scheme are:
- Scheme Owner; the Commonwealth of Australia acting on behalf of the Commonwealth of Australia, the State of New South Wales, State of Queensland, State of Victoria, State of South Australia, State of Tasmania, State of Western Australia, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory (the ABCB).
- Scheme Administrator; the person appointed by the Scheme Owner to manage and administer the Scheme in accordance with the Scheme Rules. This is currently the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ).
- Scheme Accreditation Body; the person appointed by the Scheme Owner to assess and accredit Certification Bodies (CB). This is currently JAS-ANZ.
- Certification Body; an organisation accredited by the Scheme Accreditation Body under the Scheme to issue Certificates of Conformity. Only JAS- ANZ accredited Certification Bodies can issue CodeMark Australia Certificates of Conformity
- Certificate Holder; the person to whom a Certificate of Conformity has been issued by a CB in relation to a certified product.
Who are the main users of Certificates of Conformity?
The main users of Certificates of Conformity are:
- Appropriate Authorities such as local authorities and building certifiers; when assessing compliance with the BCA of applications for building approval or construction undertaken.
- Designers and specifiers; when considering or comparing building products and checking where and how they can be used.
- Builders and building owners; when selecting products.
- Trade suppliers; to promote products and assure consumers that products contribute to BCA compliance.
To find out how to become an accredited CodeMark Certification Body or to obtain more detail about the Scheme please contact JAS-ANZ.